Sunday, January 9, 2011

A View from the Crease

At an early age I was enamored by Peter “Bonzai” Bondra of the Washington Capitals and his ability to score countless goals wearing #12. Through the 90’s I watched the team go through some tough seasons but many talented players come and go from Bonzai to Olaf Kolzig.
My love for the Caps escalated to its highest point in 2004 when they drafted Alexander Ovechkin, “The Great 8.” Since that happened, the rest of the hockey world and I have been lucky enough to view this legend do the impossible on his frozen stage. Each of the following years the Capitals management acquired young guns like Nicklas Backstrom and Mike Green to surround Ovi with a solid supporting cast.
Since Ovi has joined the team I have watched the Caps improve each year with several divisional titles and the most current President’s trophy last season. Although all teams strive for those achievements, the absence of a Stanley Cup in the Washington Capitals trophy case has all the fans blood thirsty for Lord Stanley.
Over the last five years the Caps have become one of the most popular teams in the NHL. The city of Washington and I have been spoiled with numerous great moments at the Verizon Center. Suddenly people care about hockey because of the night-after-night entertainers like Ovi and Nicky B. The growth of the fan base will only continue with those two guys locked up for the next decade.  
Maybe I’m just another biased Caps fan but, I see this cast and crew captained by the best player on the planet winning a couple cups in the next decade. I’m just a die-hard Caps fan that wants to put his thoughts and emotions out there in cyberspace for fellow red rockers to read and comment on.
In Ovi we trust
Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment