Tuesday, December 6, 2011
Caps fall short in Florida
The Capitals suffered their fifth straight road loss tonight to the Florida Panthers. Washington would score three consecutive goals, but it would not be enough falling 5-4 in the end. It was penalties that killed the Caps. The Panthers were successful three out of six times on the extra man. Two of those PPG’s occurred in the 1st period, leaving the score 3-1 at the first intermission. Other than the third period, the Caps were outplayed and out hustled. Michal Neuvirth made several big saves, but also made mistakes on two big goals in the game. I’m not sure what is wrong with Neuvy, but he needs to step up or I see Braden Holtby coming up for some starts.
The goals were scored by Mike Knuble, Cody Eakin, Brooks Laich, and Jason Chimera for the Capitals. Every forward line was +1 or better except for the first line. The third line was an offensive force again being responsible for two of the goals tonight. They continue to produce results for this team as I stated in the “3rd line Special”. I’d also like to congratulate Johnny Erskine on his 2nd fight in three games. This time he instigated the fight and made Bracken Kearns his b*tch. Even though he was given the 10 minute misconduct it was worth to see and I’m sure Dale Hunter enjoyed it after we killed the penalty.
Alex Semin was scratched again for a “shoulder injury”. I think that Sasha could be in the works for a trade if you ask me. Alex Ovechkin logged more ice time than he’s had all year with 22:02, but him, Nicklas Backstrom, and Troy Brouwer all earned -2 ice ratings. Ovi has to find the net! He has to be better if this team is going to succeed. It is very frustrating to watch such a talented player suffer these kinds of slumps and criticism this early in his career. In the past 12 games, Ovi has logged only one goal, four assists, and has a -7 ice rating. I’m his biggest fan and I hate to criticize him but we need him now more than ever because at this rate I don’t even see him making the all-star game. The Great Eight is our captain and I won’t lose faith, but we need him to start playing like one.
Whose fault was it?
· The first goal was dumb luck because of the unfortunate deflection.
· Neuvy was definitely at fault for the second goal letting the puck go through his seven hole just 13 seconds after the first tally.
· The blame goes to Neuvy again with letting in a stoppable slap shot on the power play from the point.
· Three times a charm so why not put the fault to the goalie for not covering the puck, allowing a wrap job to occur.
· Alright Neuvy I’ll cut you some slack on this one. Ovi and the rest of the Caps on the ice stood watching as the Panthers slotted the fifth goal in a wide open net.
Player of the Game: John Carlson (3 assists, +3 ice rating)
Stat of the Game: 17 penalty minutes (John Erskine)
Unsung Hero: Dmitry Orlov